Register with the NCAA if interested in college sports
- Students who wish to play college ball must register with the NCAA Eligibility Center in their junior year. Be sure that you are familiar with the course requirements.
Register for tests: PSAT/SAT/ACT
- At school, sign up to take the PSAT/NMSQT in October. Qualifying scores receive National Merit Scholarships.
- Check dates for SAT/ACT and sign up online. ACT is usually given at our school in December
Start Your College Search
- Start with you: Make lists of your abilities, preferences and personal qualities. List things you may want to study and do in college.
- Jump-start your college planning by reading about majors and careers.
- Take ASVAB – career inventory test
- Use College Search to find colleges with the right characteristics.
- Participate in our school sponsored college tours. During the junior year we usually plan at least 3 college visits.
- Start visiting colleges: large, small, public and private. Get a feel for what works for you. Develop an initial list of 15-20 colleges that interest you. You can narrow it down later.
- Review your senior year class schedule with your counselor. Challenge yourself with honors, dual credit and AP classes.
- Plan summer activities early. Enrich yourself by volunteering, getting an interesting job, or signing up for camps.
- Visit colleges. Take campus tours and, at colleges you’re serious about, schedule interviews with admission officers.
- Check important dates; some colleges have early dates or rolling admission.